Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Purple Yamster Recipe # 1: Three Phase Process with Eggplants, Tomatoes, and Grains


Purple Yamster Recipe # 1

Part of my whole get down as a Purple Yamster means I’m mad thrifty and creative with what I got – I utilized the resources I have to the best of my ability into bringing a new world of flavors into existence. Seeing that there was an eggplant more wrinkly than my grandma laying around the house, I decided to rock Phase One: an eggplant dish AND Phase Two: a tomatoey dish adding that with some brown rice on top of a tortilla to create Phase Three: Taste Time.

What You Need:

Minced Garlic

Peanut Oil

Salt

Pepper

Olive Oil

Curry Powder

1 Eggplant

2 Red/ Orange Bell Peppers

Brown Rice

Tortilla

2 Tomatoes

A Squirt of Sriracha Hot Sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha)

Spoonful Peanut Butter

Basil

Phase One: Simple Eggplant with Bell Peppers

Ingredients

1 Eggplant

Minced Garlic

Peanut Oil

Salt

Pepper

Olive Oil

Curry Powder

Soy Sauce

Red/ Orange Bell Peppers

1. Wash and chop up eggplant and bell peppers. Throw some rice in the rice cooker.

2. Place in bowl – Marinate with olive oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Make sure you fold the eggplants around making sure they cover every square inch. Soak for 15 minutes or so. (Purple Yamster Insight: The reasoning behind that eggplants take a minute to soak up flavors and plus, I ain’t want to dry ass eggplants)

3. Warm up the pan, add peanut oil and minced garlic for brief second – let it brown a bit.

4. Add eggplant and grab a top and place it on top of the pan to speed the cooking process and soften up the eggplant. Let sit on low flame for 15 minutes or until you’ve reached the tenderness you desired.

5. Once you’re almost satisfied with eggplant’s tenderness, add bell peppers, let them sit for a few more minutes. (PY Insight: I purposely leave the

6. Turn off stove and let it sit to cook. Also, add curry on top and fold in. (PY Insight: Part of the reason, I fold it in is because I understand that curry burns very easily)

7. Clean that dirty pan off and get ready for Phase Two of this dish.

Phase Two: Tomato Mild Peanut Sauce

Ingredients

Tomatoes

Peanut Oil

Minced Garlic

Sriracha Hot Sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha)

Peanut Butter

Basil

  1. Chop up tomatoes, garlic.
  2. Warm up pan, pour a tiny bit of peanut oil and garlic, let it simmer and brown the garlic just a bit.
  3. Place tomatoes in the pan and let it make that shhhhh sound on a low flame.
  4. Add Sriracha Sauce and stir it up like Bob Marley a bit mixing up the tomotoes with the Sriracha Sauce. (PY Insight: I know the sauce has got some preservatives, y’know the way the Purple Yamster gets down is to use and utilize (use it well) what I got)
  5. Let it simmer for a bit more.
  6. Add peanut butter and fold it in. (PY Insight: I usually utilize miso and nutritional yeast, but I want to remix things up and throw in the peanut butter)
  7. Pour into bowl and add finely chopped basil into the tomatoey heaven.

Phase Three: Serving Instructions

  1. Grab a bowl add phase one and two as well as brown rice together.
  2. Add more or less of the Phase Two depending on the consistency you desire. Personally, the consistency of a pasty like texture – not too saucy is the way I serve it.
  3. Heat them tortillas of choice (on a pan, over a flame, etc. – just heat ‘em)
  4. Add Phase One + Phase Two to make Phase Three onto the tortilla.
  5. Enjoy AND Get your munch on.

Let me know if y’all got some suggestions for names or better ingredients/cooking methods for the recipe as I’m always open to ideas. Shoutouts to my roommate, G, who works at People's Grocery for hookin’ it up with the produce for making this dish possible. If you don’t know about PG, check them out here: http://www.peoplesgrocery.org/

2 comments:

alife allah said...

You dropped the Sriracha on them. I just found out about that this year (well I have always seen it in Chinese resturaunts yet never really paid attention) in the resturaunt I cook in. I was looking at some of the lesser used condiments in the store room and I did the knowledge. yeaaaaaaahh.

Stephanie said...

recipe sounds amazing! also, i got your postcard. made me cry, in a good way. love you lots.